Allegations Against Staff
All organisations providing services to children and young people must ensure that their staff and volunteers (paid, unpaid, casual, agency and self-employed workers) are safe to do so.
The vast majority of adults who work with children/young people act professionally and aim to provide a safe and supportive environment for the children and young people they work with. However, there are adults who will deliberately seek out, create or exploit opportunities to abuse children.
The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) in Children and Young People's Services should be alerted to all cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:
- Behaved in a way that has harmed a child, or may have harmed a child;
- Possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child;
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates he or she would pose a risk of harm if they work regularly or closely with children.
This applies to allegations both in and outside the work place.
The LADO is involved from the initial phase of the allegation through to the conclusion of the case. They will provide advice, guidance and help to determine whether the allegation sits within the scope of the procedures. The LADO helps co-ordinate information-sharing with the right people and will also monitor and track any investigation, with the aim to resolve it as quickly as possible.
- Haringey’s LADO is Sarah Roberts
For advice and information about allegations against staff and volunteers please contact us on 020 8489 2968/1186 or email LADO@haringey.gov.uk
You can download the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) referral form here:
Any incident where a child or young person or any other person has grounds to believe that a member of staff has crossed the boundary of acceptable behaviour and may have caused harm to a child or young person should be reported.
All allegations should be reported without delay to:
- Haringey's Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)
2nd Floor River Park House
- Tel: 020 8489 2968/1186
- Email: email@example.com
- LADO Guidance (PDF, 1.56MB)
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (2014) (PDF, 1Mb)
- Practice guidance - the recruitment and selection of staff (PDF, 309KB)
- Working Together to Safeguard Children 2013 (PDF 526 KB)
- Safer Recruitment e-Learning (external link)
- Allegations against adults who work with children - LADO Annual Report 2012-13 (PDF, 189KB)
Please let us know if this page was useful to you by answering the question below or by leaving a comment (or you can do both).